- At our meetings in March one of our members treated us to a very interesting demonstration of furniture restoration. We learned about different types of veneers, wood stains, and repairs to damaged veneer while all attending were encouraged to have a go at some practical work. This project will continue at our workshop giving those interested the opportunity to learn more and have the chance to take part in the restoration of a cabinet which, once completed, will be sold to raise funds.
- A member brought in his guitar and has now been joined by another who is keen to improve his skills. We look forward to hearing the results of their practice and anyone interested in learning to play, or perhaps showing off their musical talents, will be made welcome.
- Yet another of our members gave an informative talk on Heraldry, explaining the meanings of heraldic terms, and showing us many interesting examples on 35mm slides.
- Our fuchsia expert once again gave a demonstration regarding the care of these lovely plants. This time we were shown how to prepare them for the coming season and a few lucky members took cuttings home.
- We rounded off the month with a number of our members visiting Fransham Forge, where Nigel Barnett gave us a fascinating talk and demonstration of metal forging and his machinery. He produced some examples of his skillful craftsmanship and kindly donated them to Dereham Men’s Shed. Our thanks to Nigel for such an interesting visit.
- The most exciting news this month was that Dereham Town Council have given us a grant of £1250 towards the setting up costs of our Men’s Shed. This will enable us to obtain insurance and purchase essential equipment that will help us towards meeting our aims. Arrangements will be made for the Mayor to formally present the cheque to us, with members of the press attending, at a later date.